1) Show the students’ goals on the class view.
2) Let them know that today we are going to begin learning about function blocks.
3) Show the next part on the class view where it has the images of the function blocks and descriptions. Have students guess how function blocks would be used within a program.
4) Show the students the “Code Kit Tutorial 5: Functions” video on the class view.
5) Facilitate a conversation with your students, how do function blocks work?
6) Have students go back to their handshake handout. Have them do part 2: name the function (the name should go on the bottom and top function)
7) Have students cut the 2 function blocks out separately.
8) Have students tape their 2 function blocks up on the space you cleared out. (the title function under the start, the step by step directions function outside of the main thread)
9) Once all of the groups have put their functions up. They will imitate how it would work. You will call out the names of the functions in sequential order starting directly under the start. Once you call a function, that group should perform the function.
Teacher: “Exploding Octopus Robot Handshake”
Student group performed their handshake “Exploding Octopus Robot Handshake”
Teacher: “coolest handshake ever”
Student group performed their handshake “coolest handshake ever”
Continue until all the function blocks in the main thread have been performed.